Latest Blog: Beach Reading - 09/18/2023
Investment Insights are written by Angeles' CIO Michael Rosen
Michael has more than 30 years experience as an institutional portfolio manager, investment strategist, trader and academic.
LABOR MARKETPublished: 12-05-2014
Oh, this was a strong report this morning, on every level:
- 321,000 net new jobs in November.
- 10 consecutive months of +200,000 payroll gains (228,000 on average over the past year).
- Labor force expanded 119,000, and the labor participation rate held steady at 62.8%, its average of the past 8 months, so perhaps it is leveling off.
- Median number of weeks of unemployment fell to a recovery-low of 12.8.
- Quitters rose to 9.1% of those unemployed, signaling rising confidence in being able to find another job (this is one of Janet Yellen’s favorite stats).
- Average hourly wages rose 0.4% and total hours worked rose 0.6%, so cash earnings were up 1% in November, the most for any month since 2006.
In stark contrast to the rest of the world, the US economy is not only strong, but may be getting stronger! Good for USD-based assets, and we expect the Fed to begin raising rates in 2Q next year.PRINT THIS ARTICLE
Markets have taken today's employment release as evidence of a weakeningjobs market. A mere 173,000 net new jobs were ...READ BLOG POST
Falling Behind 08-25-2016
It's good to be tall.Tall people tend to be more highly educated, earn more over their careers, are higher in the social ...READ BLOG POST
It's probably no surprise to you that I see offering world-class investment advice as a valuable service for the ...READ BLOG POST
We strive build portfolios of best-in-class investment managers across all asset classes. If you would like to be considered for our portfolios, please contact us using our manager inquiries form.
- MANAGER INQUIRIES
SUBSCRIBE TO ANGELES' INSIGHTS
Get the latest investment information and stay on top of market trends.SUBSCRIBE