Latest Blog: Fireside Reading - 03/30/2023
- BACK TO CIO INSIGHTS BACK TO ARTICLES & INSIGHTS HOME
Investment Insights are written by Angeles' CIO Michael Rosen
Michael has more than 30 years experience as an institutional portfolio manager, investment strategist, trader and academic.
LABOR MARKETPublished: 12-05-2014
Oh, this was a strong report this morning, on every level:
- 321,000 net new jobs in November.
- 10 consecutive months of +200,000 payroll gains (228,000 on average over the past year).
- Labor force expanded 119,000, and the labor participation rate held steady at 62.8%, its average of the past 8 months, so perhaps it is leveling off.
- Median number of weeks of unemployment fell to a recovery-low of 12.8.
- Quitters rose to 9.1% of those unemployed, signaling rising confidence in being able to find another job (this is one of Janet Yellen’s favorite stats).
- Average hourly wages rose 0.4% and total hours worked rose 0.6%, so cash earnings were up 1% in November, the most for any month since 2006.
In stark contrast to the rest of the world, the US economy is not only strong, but may be getting stronger! Good for USD-based assets, and we expect the Fed to begin raising rates in 2Q next year.PRINT THIS ARTICLE
Beach Reading 08-11-2020
One of the upsides to confinement over the past few months is that I've been able to raise my reading capacity. Here ...READ BLOG POST
Hot Bidding 07-27-2015
The housing recovery, from its worst downturn since at least the 1930s, has been steady, but much less robust than most ...READ BLOG POST
Mark Twain wrote in his autobiography that there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics. How ...READ BLOG POST
We strive build portfolios of best-in-class investment managers across all asset classes. If you would like to be considered for our portfolios, please contact us using our manager inquiries form.
- MANAGER INQUIRIES
SUBSCRIBE TO ANGELES' INSIGHTS
Get the latest investment information and stay on top of market trends.
429 SANTA MONICA BLVD,
SANTA MONICA, CA 90401
375 PARK AVENUE,
NEW YORK, NY 10152
400 N. MICHIGAN AVE,
CHICAGO, IL 60611
5151 SAN FELIPE ST,
HOUSTON, TX 77056
How Can We Help You?Institutional Investors
Fully resourced investment office built to manage sophisticated client investment programsPrivate Wealth
Personalized discretionary portfolio and wealth management services powered by institutional processInvestment Management
Rigorous process and a flexible platform designed to meet client needsArticles & Insights
Latest insights and perspectives from the Angeles teamContact Us
Get in touch