Latest Blog: Mismatch - 03/20/2023
- BACK TO CIO INSIGHTS BACK TO ARTICLES & INSIGHTS HOME
Investment Insights are written by Angeles' CIO Michael Rosen
Michael has more than 30 years experience as an institutional portfolio manager, investment strategist, trader and academic.
JUNE GLOOM WILL FADEPublished: 06-08-2015
1024″June gloom” is what you get when a warming land mass meets a cooler ocean: a layer of marine fog that the sun burns off into afternoon haze. It is the weather pattern in Santa Monica for every June that I can remember.
Ignore the “bad news” headline of Friday’s May employment report, that the unemployment rate ticked up to 5.5% from 5.4%. Job growth is robust. Payrolls grew 280,000 in May, with another 32,000 added to the two previous months. Private sector payrolls added 262,000 in May, the 63rd straight monthly gain, the longest such streak since at least the late 1930s. More than 141 million people are working, a new record (see Graph below).
The unemployment rate rose half a percent (5.443% to 5.5508%, for those who like precision in their data) because the labor pool grew 397,000, reflecting cyclical strength in the economy. The median duration of unemployment peaked at 17 weeks at the end of 2013, exactly as Congress allowed the 99 weeks of unemployment insurance to revert back to the “non-crisis” level of 26 weeks. Since then, median duration of unemployment has fallen to 11.6 weeks. Coincidence?
Average hourly earnings are up 2.3% over the past year. With average weekly hours up 2.6%, total cash to workers is 4.9% more than a year ago. The lack of inflation means that’s real money to spend.
Despite a contraction in the economy in the first quarter, the data just do not support a likelihood of a recession. The economy certainly has many challenges, and this recovery may had been stronger with better fiscal policies, but the “June gloom” we have in Santa Monica will not last, along the beach or in the broader economy.PRINT THIS ARTICLE
Janet Yellen Is Your Friend 09-28-2016
I have not met Janet Yellen, but she seems like a perfectly friendly person. Yet, for some reason, investors seem to ...READ MORE
Old Age 10-16-2014
It's been 3 years since US equities have corrected more than 10%. But there's no law about how long rallies can ...READ MORE
(Not) Recommended Reading 12-20-2017
I don't like recommended lists. They turn experiences into a contest (and the winner is), and one reviewer's ...READ MORE
We strive build portfolios of best-in-class investment managers across all asset classes. If you would like to be considered for our portfolios, please contact us using our manager inquiries form.
- MANAGER INQUIRIES
SUBSCRIBE TO ANGELES' INSIGHTS
Get the latest investment information and stay on top of market trends.
429 SANTA MONICA BLVD,
SANTA MONICA, CA 90401
375 PARK AVENUE,
NEW YORK, NY 10152
400 N. MICHIGAN AVE,
CHICAGO, IL 60611
5151 SAN FELIPE ST,
HOUSTON, TX 77056
How Can We Help You?Institutional Investors
Fully resourced investment office built to manage sophisticated client investment programsPrivate Wealth
Personalized discretionary portfolio and wealth management services powered by institutional processInvestment Management
Rigorous process and a flexible platform designed to meet client needsArticles & Insights
Latest insights and perspectives from the Angeles teamContact Us
Get in touch